Hard Work Triumphs

State Wrestling Champion

Danni Weidman, Staff

The Inola Wrestling team had a phenomenal season this year, becoming State Academic Champions and having a State Champion in the 138 pound weight class –Jose Flores.
Flores spoke on his state experience saying,  “It was super exciting being there and competing.”
Jose had an impressive journey to the finals, defeating former State Champ and State runner up senior Anthony Orum from Marlow High School 4-0. In the semi-final Flores had a triple overtime thriller, stunning two time state runner up, Dayton Cary a senior out of Newkirk High School. Flores fought from behind to end regulation deadlocked at 4-4, later winning the match 8-4 after three overtimes.
That ended up being the last nail biter for Flores after running away with the state title 12-5, trumping Vinita’s Darius Morgan. Flores had wrestled his first state opponent twice before winning in both appearances. Jose finished his state champion season with an amazing record of 39-8. He did a great job showing just what it means to be a Longhorn wrestler by leaving it all on the mat and coming out on top. When asked what the toughest match he had this year was he stated, “definitely the semifinal.”
Jose has gone to Inola Public Schools his whole life. He began wrestling at the young age of four years old and has wrestled ever since. Along with Jose state wrestling title, the IHS wrestling team finished the season with the title of Academic State Champions with an overall team GPA of 3.7