ACT Testing Policy

Back to Article
Back to Article

ACT Testing Policy

Kaleb McGowan, Audrey Danker, Kymesha Stiles, Kaylee Burns, and Destiney Massey

In September of 2020, students will be able to retake a portion of the ACT without having to retake the entire test. Students who have aced three of the four sections of the ACT will be able to focus on the fourth section without having to worry about getting a lower score on the three sections before. ACT officials said they want to ease those concerns because the tests integrity remains intact whether it’s administered in whole or in part. ACT research shows that scores of students who have taken the test in individual sections are still consistent with the scores of those who take the test in whole. The ACT, with a top score of 36, is one of the two major college admission tests required. With the option of taking the ACT in individual parts, it would possibly help many students get a better score on sections and improve their overall score. This could help them get into a good college and have a much better education. Under the ACT’s new policy students must take the full test before they can choose partial retake of one or more sections. Retakes of the sections including the optional writing test will only be available through online testing centers, not paper and pencil format. In a third policy shift, ACT will enable students, starting in September, to choose to send colleges an official report, drawn on results from multiple tries at the test, known as the “super-score”. Used by many colleges super-scoring credits students with their best result on each of the four sections if they have been tested more than once. Many colleges allow applicants to self-report ACT or SAT scores, using the super-scoring format.