Longhorn Legacy

Minutes with Miah

Cheer State

Jeremiah Womack

Back to Article
Back to Article

Minutes with Miah

Jeremiah Womack, Staff

Inola cheer definitely went above and beyond my expectations, and a lot of other people’s as well. When they got second at the regional competition, only losing to Stigler; I’m ashamed to say some people were surprised.
When they went to the state competition last weekend, they won the approval of so many people by placing fifth in the state. They lost some important seniors, who were replaced by some younger cheerleaders, and still managed to get the highest state record with Mrs. Sara Eagleton. Even though they held up the Longhorn flag upside down… and if they wouldn’t have done that they would have placed the top three. When Mrs. Eagleton was asked if she thought they deserved to place higher, she said,  “I don’t think we necessarily should have placed higher.”
She said looking at the other teams score cards, the Inola cheer team was weaker in some places where the higher placing teams were strong. Even though they got fifth, she was still very happy and proud with how her girls did in the state competition. I imagine her plan for next year are to work on the weaker areas more than what they were strong in this year, and hopefully they can place even higher next year.
Also interviewed was junior Liberty Hess, and she had a slightly different opinion than Mrs. Eagleton. Liberty said she definitely thought they should have placed higher, and she was also very happy with how she and her teammates did against the rest of the state.
Both of the women interviewed were not surprised with their placing in state. Both said they weren’t because they worked very hard for it; if working that hard under the circumstances they were in doesn’t get them a high placing in state, then nothing should.

About the Contributor
Jeremiah Womack, Staff

Wild.
Jeremiah Womack is in eleventh grade at the great Inola High School. He plays multiple sports like football and wrestling. He earns average grades,...